Streaming Resources to Get Your Daily Dose of Music!
Technology is a wonderful thing, and we’re so lucky to have the ability to sit down on our couch with a bowl of popcorn, switch on the tv, or boot up our laptops, and become immersed in the performance hall. There are SO many resources out there for us to discover, and many are completely free, or are offering extended free trials for everyone during these weeks. We’ve put together a list of a handful of these streaming services for easy access, categorized by genre. See any that are missing from the list? Please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know and we’ll add it here!
Choir and Opera
- Brussel’s Opera House- La Monnaie has seven productions available for free streaming: Click HERE to access. Note- not all have english subtitles.
- The Bavarian State Opera are live-streaming chamber music concerts every Monday evening, which then become on demand for 2-weeks following. They also have a recording of Il Trovatore available until March 28, and Lucia Di Lammermoor until April 8. Click HERE to access.
- New York’s Metropolitan Opera is currently streaming productions from their “Live in HD” transmissions. Streams start at 7:30 PM each night and last for 23 hours. Click HERE to access.
- Opera North UK– Fancy a bit of Wagner? Opera North has their entire Ring Cycle available on their website, as well as a handful of other productions offered on-demand. Click HERE to access.
- OperaVision (EU) is offering free access to their full archives, an increase from its’ usual offerings. Click HERE to access.
- The Royal Opera House is streaming live operas and ballets on their Facebook and Youtube channels, which then become available on demand afterwards.
- The Tabernacle Choir is offering a free stream of Messiah on April 10 at 7:00 PM. You won’t want to miss it. Click HERE for more details.
- The Vienna State Opera is offering free access to all of its archives, providing a different opera to watch each day, FREE! Check out their website for the schedule HERE.
- BroadwayHD is currently offering an extended limit to their free trial- stream your favorite Broadway hits for 7 days free! Click HERE to access.
- WatchStage is also offering a free 7 day trial to their collection of performances. Click HERE to access.
- The Bavarian Radio Symphony has a multitude of recorded concerts on archive, which you can access HERE. If you’re not fluent in German, we suggest using Google Translate! 😉
- The Bavarian State Orchestra is also providing live streams and videos-on-demand of previous concerts and performances. Click HERE to access.
- The BBC Scottish Symphony has an AMAZING Youtube channel full of fully videotaped past performances, from Mozart Horn Concertos to Wagner’s Ring cycle, they’ve got so much to offer!
- The Berlin Philharmonic Digital Concerthall is probably THE best known online orchestral streaming service, and they are offering their archives up completely FREE. If you’ve never had a chance to experience the Berlin Phil, do not miss this opportunity. Click HERE to access and apply the discount code they provide on the front page.
- The LA Philharmonic is starting a mini-series on their Instagram called “LA Phil at Home”, where musicians of the orchestra invite you to listen to mini private concerts. Their first video highlights the Principal Concertmaster, Martin Chalifour, performing works by Prokofiev, Bach, and Telemann. Make sure to follow their page to stay updated!
- The London Symphony is live-stream full concerts on Thursdays and Sunday evenings, available up until midnight on the day of the live-stream. They also have mini music theory videos, chamber music performances (Steve Reich Percussion Quintet is amazing- listen to it!) available as well! Click HERE for more details.
- The Melbourne Symphony has continued to perform and live-stream their concerts over the last few weeks. You can view them HERE on their Youtube page.
- NY Phil Plays On– this is a brand new portal for the New York Philharmonic, providing free digital content to all. Click HERE to access.
- Your very own Pittsburgh Symphony is offering a digital series of musical offerings for the community, a mixture of archival works, spotlights on musicians, and more. Click HERE to view the ever-updating page.
- Early Music Day EU– Are you a baroque lover? Check out the archives and live-streaming schedule for EU’s Early Music Day, held on March 21 every year. Click HERE to access.
- MarqueeTV is offering an extended free trial of 30 days to view their dance, opera, and theater performances. Click HERE to access.
- Wigmore Hall (UK) features chamber music at it’s best! Check out their Youtube page to view masterclasses, String Quartets, and more!
- Worchester Cathedral (UK) is offering live organ recitals on Facebook Live every night.
- The Budapest Festival Orchestra is curating a new series titled “Quarantine Soirees”, which aims to provide live-streamed programs featuring chamber orchestra. Click HERE to see their schedule.
- PBS Great Performances– What more can be said? PBS brings you a diverse archive of classical music, opera, popular song, musical theater, dance, drama, and performance docs. Click HERE to see the many offerings they have!
Perhaps we’ve helped fill up your Friday evenings a little bit with this list! Notice any missing? Please email us at email@example.com or leave a comment for us! Stay healthy, and keep practicing!