Pittsburgh Girls Choir is committed to artistic excellence and performance through an exemplary music education program, and welcomes girls of all races, ethnicities and economic backgrounds into our supportive community. What are the advantages of a Girls Choir? A community where the artistic, intellectual and emotional needs of girls are easier to meet, where the learning environment is a safe and supportive community, and where leadership opportunities for girls are maximized. We provide a sequential Kodaly-based curriculum focusing on ear training and literacy, a girl-friendly learning environment which enables each girl to reach her highest potential, and a focus on mentoring where older girls pair with younger girls to model healthy relationships and artistic discipline.
*All training choirs are being offered in person and virtually. For more information about hybrid rehearsal options, click here.
- Melodia: Our level 1, non-auditioned training choir for girls in grades 1-3, developing healthy vocal skills and a foundation in musical literacy through the use of children’s choral repertoire, multi-cultural folk songs, games and dances.
- Harmonia: Our level 2 girlchoir for students in grades 3-6, expanding knowledge of musical literacy, and healthy vocal production. Choristers learn to sing two-part repertoire in several languages.
- Via: Our Level 3 training choir for girls in grades 5-9, performing two and three -part repertoire in several languages and developing advanced sight-singing skills. In Via, choristers prepare to give their first solo concert which they perform in Pittsburgh and throughout the region on a 2-3 day mini-tour.
- Concentio: An advanced choir for girls in grades 7-12. Members must have either graduated from Via or equivalent choral background. Choristers must demonstrate a high level of vocal and sight singing skill. Concentio performs advanced sacred and secular repertoire with three to six-parts in multiple languages and styles.
- Chamber Choir: our most advanced choir of PGC. Membership is by invitation only and offers musically experienced members of Concentio the opportunity to make an extraordinary commitment to choral singing.
- Women of Song: an intergenerational choir for adult women. It is not just a community choir or a church choir, nor is it exclusively for people who are already skilled at choral singing. It offers learning opportunities for those who want to get into choral singing, and leadership opportunities to women with advanced skills.
- Choral Camp: a one week summer camp experience for younger children, offered each year on a different musical theme.
- Tours: National or international performance tours for advanced choirs take place every other year.