In 1974, Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra harpist Phyllis Barbash founded the Three Rivers Training Orchestra for students. A couple of years and a name change later, Three Rivers Young Peoples Orchestras has grown tremendously! Each young musician that participates in a TRYPO program has the opportunity to be coached by Pittsburgh Symphony and Pittsburgh Opera members, and has chances to participate in masterclasses, travel and tour, and more throughout the seasons.
TRYPO offers the following programs:
- Symphonette– a strings only-ensemble including violins, violas, cellos, and basses for students in grades 7-12.
- Young Peoples Orchestra– a full symphonic orchestra including strings, harps, winds, brass and percussion for students in grades 9-12.
- Wind Symphony- a symphonic wind ensemble including all wind and percussion instruments for students at the intermediate to advanced level of playing.
- Percussion Ensemble- an ensemble specifically for percussionists! All ages up to freshman year in college will be considered.
- Apprentice Conductor Program- a program that offers students a chance to study and hone conducting skills.
- Youth Chamber Connection (YC2)- a joint chamber music program of TRYPO, and the Pittsburgh Youth Symphony Orchestra. Check out the YC2 listing to learn more!
- Youth Chamber Connection Summer Camp- YC2 offers a week long summer camp held in beautiful Chautauqua, New York. Check out the YC2 listing to learn more!
TRYPO programs provide opportunities for the following instruments:
- English Horn
- French Horn
- Baritone and Euphonium
- Trombone and Bass Trombone
To learn more about TRYPO, please visit our website!